ASCA School Counselor of the Year
GSCA is pleased and proud to have a number of its members as finalists or winners of the ASCA School Counselor of the Year award. Below find a recent list of GSCA's winners and finalists:
Beth Ruff, Powder Springs Elementary School -Powder Springs, GA
Teshia Stovall Dula, Hull Middle School - Duluth, GA
Barbara Truluck, Palmer Middle School- Kennesaw, GA
Laura Ross, Five Forks Middle School - Lawrenceville, GA
A graduate of The University of Georiga, Ross has served as a school counselor for nine years. She has been at Five Forks Middle School since 2014. "Laura is a true hero when it come to helping us grow as a school in building relationships with our students," said Christine Douthart, principal, Five Forks Middle School. "She is a school counselor who has the best interest of students at the heart of everything she does. When we come together to think about our mission as a school, Laura always ask, 'Are we making decisions for adults, or are we making decisions based on what is best for our students?"
Dawn Mann, Harrison High School - Kennesaw, GA
Jennifer Diaz, White Oak Elementary School - Sugar Hill, GA
Robin Zorn, Dr. M.H. Mason Jr. Elementary School - Duluth, GA
- A school counselor since 1999, Zorn is continually looking for new, innovative ideas to support students and teachers and make Dr. M.H. Mason Jr. Elementary School a better place. “She has worked to develop a counseling program at Mason that annually exceeds expectations and serves as an example for her peers in other schools,” said David W. Jones, principal, Dr. M.H. Mason Jr. Elementary School. Zorn’s most recent example of bringing resources together to aid students has been the implementation of a mentoring program for some of Mason’s most at-risk students. She has worked with Kid’s Hope USA and facilitated the work between mentors, teachers, students and families. Mentors set goals for students and meet one hour each week to serve as support for students. This has resulted in increased attendance rates and higherachievement for some of her school’s most at-risk students.
Nicole Pfleger Weber, Nickajack Elementary School - Smyrna, GA
- Pfleger, a school counselor at Nickajack Elementary School in Smyrna, Ga., received the award from Alan Burkard, Ph.D., ASCA president, in a surprise ceremony on Dec. 8, 2011. "Nicole is a role model for her students with her tireless energy and compassion for community outreach, her students and families," said Gail M. Smith, supervisor, school counseling, Cobb County School District and 2011-2012 GSCA President. The School Counselof of the Year judges were particularly impressed with Pfleger's work with a local homeless shelter for women and children, the DREAM Team for at-risk boys and Rachel's Challenge Program promoting character education and random acts of kindness.
- Anne Ogilvy, Vickery Elementary School - Cumming, GA
- Teshaunda Hannor-Walker, Northside Elementary School - Albany, GA
- Anthony Pearson, Sky View Elementary School - Mableton, GA
Julie Hartline, Campbell High School - Smyrna, GA
- Hartline began working as a parole officer twenty years ago because she wanted to make a difference. When she discovered 85% of her caseload had never graduated from high school, she saw the need to make a difference earlier. She decided to become a teacher, which ultimately led her to her true calling as a school counselor. Now in her tenth year of counseling, Hartline continues to work tirelessly for the best interests of her students. “Julie is a social change agent and is on the front lines advocating for excellence in education for her students,” said Gail Smith, Supervisor of School Counseling, Cobb County School District. “She makes her vision a reality because of her commitment, her ability to collaborate, and her undying desire to provide her students with a meaningful and purposeful school experience.”
- Watch a video about winner Julie Hartline.
- Margaret Cheely, Collins Hill High School - Suwanee, GA
- Karen Griffith, Berkeley Lake Elementary School - Duluth, GA
- Brian Law, Valdosta High School - Valdosta, GA