The GSCA office will be closed for the Thanksgiving Holiday November 22 and 23.
The Advocacy Committee
- Understands the position of the GSCA leadership in regard to issues important to the Association.
- Informs GSCA membership of impending and in-process legislation through the Association Management Company.
- Encourages legislators, State Board of Education, government officials, and other influential groups to support legislation that promotes issues related to school counseling.
- At a minimum, provides quarterly reports to the GSCA President and Executive Board to inform them of legislative up-dates and to verify priorities.
- Maintains contact with the State Department of Education and other educational organizations to stay updated on pending and in-process legislation related issues.
- Represents GSCA at various legislative or educational events (including educational conferences of stakeholders), as requested by the President.
The ASCA/RAMP Chair
- Encourage GSCA members to join ASCA.
- Promotes development and implementation of a comprehensive counseling program that aligns with the ASCA National Model and would support schools applying for RAMP.
- Coordinate the Counselor Keys Effectiveness System outreach and training efforts throughout the state.
- Work collaboratively with Advocacy co-chairs and Lobbyist to promote statewide usage of CKES.
- Recruits veteran counselors who will serve as mentors.
- Conducts training of mentors using the approved GSCA Mentoring Handbook.
- Assigns mentors and supervises the program.
- Solicits names of new and inexperienced counselors who might benefit from having a mentor.
Professional Development Chair
- Plans professional development opportunities for members
Professional Recognition Chair
- Solicits nominations, selects awards committee and supervises selection of winners.
- Notifies all nominees of results.
- Coordinates recognition of state winners, including notification in writing of conference procedures for recognition.
- Communicates with ASCA and coordinates submission of state winners to ASCA.
Service Project Chair
- Works with the President to identify a service project.
- Facilitate participation and/or donation by members.
- Informs GSCA members of procedures, guidelines, and timelines for submitting articles for publication in the GSCA Journal.
- Collects all submitted articles and distributes them to the Editorial Board for reviewing and editing.
- Holds Editorial Board meetings as needed.
- Prepares and emails reminders of deadlines to Leadership Team prior to the deadlines.
- Collects and edits articles submitted for publication.
- Selects other materials to be used in each issue.
Social Media Editor
- Reviews postings to GSCA social media and monitor for compliance with social media use policy.
- Evaluate GSCA social media participation and recommend/implement utilization of emerging platforms.
- Post to GSCA social media and facilitate dialogue using those platforms.
Graduate Student Liaison
- Communicates with Georgia Colleges and Universities with Counselor Education Programs regarding GSCA membership and programs for Graduate Students.
- Promotes GSCA membership information to Graduate Students.
- Collaborates with the Counselor Coordinator/Educator in promoting graduate student recruitment and membership, and participation in GSCA.
New Counselor Liaison
- Facilitates networking, support and knowledge among new counselors
- Creates programming designed for new counselors
Past Presidents Advisory Council (PPAC) Liaison
- Conducts PPAC meetings at least once a year to discuss matters pertinent to the Organization.
- Submits ideas and recommendations to the Executive Board regarding organizational and professional issues.
Retired Counselors Liaison
- Solicits conference proposals for Retired Counselors at Annual Conference.
- Promotes GSCA membership among retired counselors.
- Develops a membership recruitment plan for retired counselors to assist in recruiting new members.
Counselor Coordinator/Counselor Educator
- Provides feedback to GSCA leadership and membership regarding state and national trends in counselor education programs, supervision, and local and state counseling issues.
Elementary, Middle AND Secondary Liaisons
- Works to enhance public awareness of the role of the level school counselor.
- Collaborates with Advocacy Chair regarding legislative action that impacts school counseling.
- Promotes professional growth and development among level Professional School Counselors.
- Collects information on work setting issues to share in articles in selected Beacon issues.
Rural Counselors Liaison
- Builds a strong network among rural counselors and encourages active involvement in GSCA activities in order to elevate profession in rural areas.
- Keeps the area Director informed of Region activities, needs, and accomplishments.
- Communicates with region counselors.
- Consults with counselors in region to identify concerns and needs.
- Facilitates a meeting at Annual Conference for Region members.
- Schedules and facilitates a winter and/or spring Region meeting and plans programs to meet Region needs.
- Promotes membership in GSCA.
- Keeps the leadership team and membership abreast of career related and postsecondary issues
- Consults with business/industry professionals on school counseling related topics
- Consults with postsecondary institutions on school counseling related issues