ASCA Webinar: Create an Advising Credential for Middle School Counselors
Learn how Chicago Public Schools (CPS) developed a postsecondary advising credential to advocate for best practices in middle school advising. The advising credential tackles topics such as use of data, student-centered advising, equity and access for black and Hispanic youth, as well as college and career readiness and awareness. CPS now has 70 advisory-credentialed middle school counselors, all of whom are seeing gains in high school on-track metrics (attendance and grades).
After viewing this webinar, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of middle school advising as it pertains to postsecondary readiness.
- Identify stakeholders to collaborate with to develop and pilot a middle school advising credential.
- Articulate the necessary skills middle school counselors need to effectively advise students and families on postsecondary options and close the achievement gap for black and Hispanic youth.
- Implement a middle school advising credential at the district level.
- Kirsten Perry, K-12 School Counseling Specialist, Chicago Public Schools, Chicago, IL
Mar. 6, 2020, 2-3 p.m. Eastern