Region 6 Mini Conference: School Counseling Better Together
Wiregrass Georgia Technical College4089 Val Tech Road
Valdosta, GA 31602-0929
Region 6 Mini Conference
School Counseling Better Together
Thursday, February 10, 2022
9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Wiregrass Georgia Technical College
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
(The order of presentations may change)
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Check-In/Registration
- 9:00 a.m. Greetings - Quita Jones & Brooke Jaramillo
- 9:15 a.m. Session 1: Ways to Integrate SEL into the Classroom - Lakisha Barnum
- This presentation focuses on ways that social-emotional learning can be incorporated into the classroom daily. This presentation will discuss the importance of social-emotional learning in the classroom environment and also give examples of activities that can be utilized in the classroom to promote social-emotional learning.
- 10:00 a.m. Session 2 - Data Into Delivery - Ryan Dixon
- Transforming cold, heartless data into meaningful interventions is one of the most critical challenges for professional school counselors. “Teamwork Tuesday” is a counselor-led initiative that works to increase schoolwide academic performance through targeted student-centered mentoring sessions emphasizing student strengths and relationship building. This presentation will explore the development of a middle school program that uses achievement data and counseling concepts to increase student achievement and address school improvement goals.
- 10:30 a.m. Official Welcome - Deannia Clements, President, Wiregrass GA Technical
- 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Lunch on your own
- 1:00 p.m. Session 3 - Restorative Circles - Danita Boyd
- 2:00 p.m. Session 4: Grade Level Session Exchange (Best Practice Ideas)
- This session will be broken into grade level groups (elementary, middle, and high school). During this session, counselors will exchange some of their best practice ideas in their school counseling practice. Topics will/can include: using technology to communicate with parents and students, groups, improving school culture, transition to middle school, transition to high school, self-care, and more…. Please bring your ideas to share with other counselors.
- 2:45 - 3:30 p.m. Wrap-Up/Region 6 GSCA Update
4.5 CEUs available.