Legal and Ethical Considerations of Working with Students with Disabilities
School counselors are committed to helping all students realize their potential and meet or exceed academic standards. How can you effectively implement school counseling programs for all students while navigating the needs of youth with 504 and individualized education program (IEPs)? Learn the basics of Section 504 and IEPs, including eligibility and accommodations. Understand just how you should be a part of the 504 process in alignment with the ASCA National Model and strategies for related advocacy.
After viewing this webinar, you will be able to:
- Identify the school counselor’s appropriate role in working with students with special needs
- Discuss the legal and ethical implications of working with students with special needs
- Explain and strategize how to use the ASCA National Model to advocate for students with special needs in the context of a school counseling program.
- Angelica Greiner, Assistant Professor, Liberty University
- Crystal Hatton, Assistant Professor, Liberty University
- Laura Stockdell, School Counseling Instructor, Southeastern Oklahoma State University
May 18, 2022, 1-2 p.m. EDT